Running Xvfb during a package build -- good idea?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 07:58:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:35:59PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> It's a bit worse than that as well because I've just discovered that
> this package [openssl] needs Wine to build as well as to run the
> tests :-(

Dan ^^ ?

I can see two possible fixes for this issue in general:

(a) Set BuildArch i386, so it only builds on i386.  This is nasty
because the output package ends up as i386, which it isn't (rpm
doesn't know the difference between build architecture and host
architecture).

[What's the difference between BuildArch and ExclusiveArch?]

Or:

(b) Work with upstream to remove the need to run executables during
the build.

This (b) seems like a rare case where this project will benefit
cross-compilers in general, because with cross-compilation you should
never need to run built executables during a build.  For example if
the target architecture was some ARM embedded chipset, there might not
even exist an emulator to run the executables.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v