F10 beta: live img boot vs installed boot

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Wed Oct 1 10:23:08 UTC 2008

This is on a T61 (nVidia Quadro NVS 140M).

The Live i686 image works SUPERBLY from a 4G USB stick. I can even
hot-plug a external monitor, run the screen resolution and voila monitor
is auto-detected and dual-head can be configured dynamically. Holy Wayne
Lord of the Malt Beverages, it just works! I ran into a few bugs, but
nothing too drastic (live img won't boot when external monitor is
plugged in, changing the desktop font size doesn't update existing
desktop icons).

I successfully installed the live image onto a 8G USB stick. However
booting the 8G stick does not work. The boot behaviour is very
different: it's booting in a text mode with a bottom text "progress
bar". Once the progress bar becomes all white, the system just hangs
there. No mingetty to escape to, no error messages. How can I provide
more information ?

-denis