tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Michael Solberg msolberg at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 13:09:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 19:38 -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 07:24:58 pm Matthew Miller wrote:
> > We've just made the command line a lot less user friendly for common use in
> > exchange for an ugly fix to a small inconvenience. *Any* chance of putting
> > this back and working at fixing the problem the hard but correct way?
>
> This seems more a complaint that tab completion is different from what you're
> used to. Many users feel the opposite (they add sbin to PATH in their
> dotfiles) and won't notice the change. For users new to linux and Fedora,
> sbin being in PATH gives them a better user experience than 'bash: foo:
> command not found' errors when they try to follow some guide on the web.

I guess I missed the first round of this discussion - but I agree with
Matthew.  Having commands on the path that a user can't execute:

[msolberg at localhost ~]$ iptables -nL
iptables v1.4.1.1: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission
denied (you must be root)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Is a worse experience than having to remember to type /sbin/ifconfig
because it's normally a "rootly" command.  This is Linux, after all.

Michael.