serial console config

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 12:56:13 UTC 2008

Jon Masters (jonathan at jonmasters.org) said:
> Ah, thanks for the replies guys but I'm not sure my original point was
> clear. I can fudge this as much as the next guy but there's a designated
> serial file in that event.d directory that is clearly supposed to be
> getting some kind of event trigger to start the console. Consequently,
> there's supposedly some new "Fedora way" to do serial consoles that
> isn't locatable in Google, nobody here has mentioned, and is
> undocumented. If nobody knows, why does that file exist?
>
> So my question was more of a WTF about that serial file.

As said, it's triggered via udev. /{etc,lib}/udev/rules.d/10-console.rules
runs a command that checks out /dev/console - if it responds to the
proper serial ioctl, then it's determined to be a serial console. The
event is then emitted, and /etc/event.d/serial is triggered on that
event.

It only triggers if the serial console is the primary console. This is
in line with the automatic /etc/inittab writing that was there in
prior releases.

Bill