Uniform Proxy Settings

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 3 20:35:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 15:23 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 15:05 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> >> So it's generally a good thing. The catch is that not many apps are
> >> using it yet. But the author is planning to propose it as a blessed
> >> dependency for GNOME 2.26 (and have it be used in gvfs and libsoup), and
> >> if that happens then that will pretty much guarantee that other distros
> >> have to ship it too, at which point it becomes easier for more apps to
> >> decide to depend on it, and eventually we might just reach uniform proxy
> >> setting nirvana.
> >
> > Most apps doing HTTP end up doing so via a library (I'd hope).  So the
> > next step would be getting support into libcurl and neon.  And possibly
> > some thought into, eg, urllib in python but urllib really needs to die
> > in favor of something nicer like urlgrabber on top of libcurl
>
> Just a note, I'd like to see the desktop standardize around libsoup,
> for two primary reasons:
>
> 1) Mainloop integration

 Why do "desktop people" keep proposing things that are _only_
acceptable in a monolithic desktop application?

 Or do you seriously expect yum/anaconda/wget/whatever to use APIs that
work by directly hooking into the glib main loop?

 Also SSL support doesn't use NSS, and ftp support is non-existant.
NTLM/GSS support is also non-existant.

> 2) Hopefully forthcoming support for reading Firefox cookies
>
> There are some custom Python bindings in progress now if you swing
> that way

 Ohh ... _in progress_ python bindings

--
James Antill -- <james at fedoraproject.org>
"Please, no.  Let's not pull in a dependency for something as simple as a