trash-cli : Looking for a reviewer

Tim Niemueller tim at niemueller.de
Tue Oct 7 09:32:27 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas schrieb:

>> I can understand that the trash tool chose that command name. It makes
>
> Me too, the point is not here. It is better from a strict and short term
> usability point of view.

And usability should be a very high priority goal. Even if you structure
it in beauty and perfection, if it does not solve the task efficiently
and easily (and to the user's liking) you have killed the feature.

>> that if another application provides another trash command the
>> functionality will be equal or similar. Then it would be a matter for
>
> Not necessarily.

No, but I could also write a program called mail that is meant to label
snail mail. It's not about guarantees, but about what's likely.

>> An upstream project does not and should not have to please all or
>> even "only" the major distros. Again, if upstream projects act careful
>
> There is the distribution list where this can be discussed. Debian
> already makes much more renaming than fedora -- debian is still bigger
> ;-).

That Debian does it doesn't make renaming any better. For some things it
causes confusion and for some things it shows disrespect to upstream.
Things look different if that is communicated with upstream and agreed upon.

>> In the case of player the name was chosen after a Shakespeare citation
>
> It isn't selfish in that sense. It is not agressively selfish but
> neutrally selfish. This is a coordination issue not the war of names, I
> am by no way implying that 'they did it to eliminate competition or
> whatever', it was a name that sounds good to them. But they don't look
> at the biggest usability and compatibility picture.

And they should not have to. Why should distros dictate that? It's in
every project's own interest to choose a name which does not collide
with the name of another project. But besides that the project is free
to chose a name that fits the project best. Probably I'm slightly
missing the point because it's more about naming binaries, not whole
projects. But for the two examples of binary names (trash and player) I
feel that it wouldn't be a good idea to "just rename" it in Fedora.
Especially since there is no evident conflict, only maybe if you
actively look for a potential one on the web...

Just my two cents,
	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>      www.niemueller.de