tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Tue Oct 7 09:34:25 UTC 2008

Jon Stanley wrote:
> The proper time to voice objections to this would have been there, 6
> weeks ago now.

That statement would be correct if you were being criticized for trying
the change. But the criticism is about the consequence of the change and
that is always an open issue. Especially since there are many people who
are affected by this change who aren't subscribed to this particular list.
> And to belabor the point even more, are there commands in the CURRENT
> default path that can't be executed by normal users? You better
> believe it! Following is from my F8 system:
>
> $ ping -f 192.168.1.1
> PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> ping: cannot flood; minimal interval, allowed for user, is 200ms
> $
>
> Following your reasoning, I propose we move ping to /sbin. Not a very
> sound course of reasoning, is it?

Please respond to the objection itself. There is a big difference
between "program can't be run" and "parameter can't be used". The latter
is not a path issue. You would have made a better point with "yum" whose
primary functionality needs root privileges but has user level options
like list.

BTW, I am very surprised that there are people out there who know how to
use "ifconfig" but don't know how to use "locate ifconfig | grep bin "
to see if the command really exists. I would expect to have the issue
show up more for people who expect to use ipconfig. So if you are
worried about scaring away newbies by making them think about system
admin functions, I suggest that you implement ipconfig.

If opinions count in this thread, I would personally want to see command
completion limited to what I have in my path. And I don't want "/sbin"
in my default path when I am not acting as a sys-admin.