Disappointed: My feature was removed without noticing me

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 20:45:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 01:22:12PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Looking at things the other way, a lot of the things that you claim are
> specific for MinGW whereas FESCo is designing something that applies to
> cross-compilation in general.

This just backs up what I said.

If you'd spent time porting a package to MinGW you'd see that
cross-compilation is a minor and rather insignificant part of the
whole process.  You just do './configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32' and
that does the whole cross-compilation thing.  The complicated stuff is
when you get 20 pages of compiler errors because the program assumes
it can make POSIX calls on a system which only has a Win32 API (no
libc for you).

So this whole business of MinGW being "applicable to cross-compilation
in general" seems (from my point of view) to be detached from reality.

If you want to do a package or two and then come back from a position
of knowledge on this subject, I'd appreciate it, because FESCo and the
other committees _ought_ to be approaching these decisions from a
position of technical excellence.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/