tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Oct 8 21:01:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 08:33 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 01:25:26AM -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > The proper time to voice objections to this would have been there, 6
> > weeks ago now.
>
> Well, as I thought the discussion had been left before that meeting, fixing
> the general problem of user-level commands in the wrong places was the
> feature and it was going to be solved properly. The feature is called "sbin
> sanity", and I'm 100% in support of that. The "ah, hell, just put everything
> in the path and call that sane" change came as a surprise to me.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SbinSanity

And under Scope it says: "Change the default PATH to
include /usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin for all users. Note that it must
come at the end of the path for normal users, or consolehelper will
break." According to the history, it's been there since at least May 24
2008, when it was imported from MoinMoin. A period of ~5 months.

If you're surprised by this, you simply aren't paying attention to the
feature process. I've seen many emails go out on fedora-announce about
the status of features, in which checking up on features you are
interested in is a single click away.

Also notable, in the discussion section of the May 24 revision, since
moved to the Talk page:

"Alternate approach: couldn't we just symlink commonly-used binaries
into /bin or /usr/bin?

Yes, but this requires editing and rebuilding dozens of RPMs and
constant argument about which binaries deserve special treatment. Lots
more work for very little actual improvement."

No one in this thread is making any point that hasn't already been
considered.