Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 16:05:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Naheem Zaffar <naheemzaffar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Which ones?

I asked because I hoped that people here have more knowledge and
experience than I do regarding services... I can speak for myself as
an "more than average desktop user" who uses Fedora as his PRIMARY
desktop at home and also at work.

source for information about Fedora services:
http://delicious.com/valentt/services
btw is there Fedora Wiki page explaining services?

I would like to see the following services should be disabled by default:

anacron         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
atd             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I don't need schedulers, it some critical part of Fedora doesn't need
I don't see the need for it on a desktop system. Others that need it
also know where to find it and enable it.

avahi-daemon    0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I don't need it.

bluetooth       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Depending on the laptop - it it has no bluetooth it should be
disabled, right? Ok, that will come in Fedora 11 as I have read with
upstart not running in compatible mode.

crond           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I don't need it.

fedora-late-live        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
fedora-live     0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Why are these service active on an installed system? This is not a
Live-CD anymore... is this a bug or some feature?

ip6tables       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Don't use ipv6...

irqbalance      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I don't need this because I have a single core laptop.

kerneloops      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

advanced users could opt-in and turn on thi service if then need it, I
don't need it.

mdmonitor       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

On my laptop I'm not using lvm or raid, so i don't need this neither.

netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
nfslock         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I'm not using NFS, if I did I would enable this, but I would like for
these services to be off by default.

ntpd            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Don't need it.

portreserve     0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

rpcbind         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
rpcgssd         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
rpcidmapd       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I don't use and don't need NFS or related services.

sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

sendmail for a desktop system? I don't need it.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic