Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 9 16:31:03 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:

> I would like to see the following services should be disabled by default:
>
> anacron         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> atd             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> I don't need schedulers, it some critical part of Fedora doesn't need
> I don't see the need for it on a desktop system. Others that need it
> also know where to find it and enable it.

You keep repeating "I don't need it" but the Live CD isn't designed
exclusively for any single person. It is a general purpose system and
defaults needs to meet the requirements of typical desktop user. So the
real questions are "Why is this service enabled by default? What typical
desktop use cases that does it solve?"

Rahul