Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Oct 9 18:29:19 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> said:
> anacron         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> atd             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> Are schedulers needed for a Desktop system? When?

Log rotation, /tmp cleanup, prelink, makewhatis, etc. all use cron (and
anacron picks up after people turn the system off when jobs were
supposed to run).  Also, just because it isn't a desktop doesn't mean
people don't want it to do things at certain times.

> irqbalance      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> This service should be disabled if system uses single core CPU,
> otherwise it should be enabled.

It only runs when there is more than one CPU (core, HT, etc.).

> mdmonitor       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> If system isn't using lvm or raid this service should be disabled.

mdmonitor is for Linux software RAID only, not LVM, and it only runs
when software RAID is configured.

> netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> nfslock         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> These service should be disabled, I don't see that Desktop users need NFS...

Highly dependent on your environment (some places make great use of NFS
on the desktop).  This is the NFS client piece, not the server.  Some
home network storage appliances can be an NFS server to your desktops.

> ntpd            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> Disabled by default, and if somebody needs it and know that it is used
> for he can enable it.

It is configured in firstboot if you choose NTP.

> rpcbind         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> rpcgssd         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> rpcidmapd       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> NFS is not used on Desktop, maybe on the servers, so what do you think
> - could these services be disabled by default for Desktop systems?

See above about NFS.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>