Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 18:59:00 UTC 2008

> Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) said:
> > > mdmonitor       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> > >
> > > If system isn't using lvm or raid this service should be disabled.
> >
> > mdmonitor is for Linux software RAID only, not LVM, and it only runs
> > when software RAID is configured.
>
> Right, but that's the sort of thing that could be disabled on the Live
> image, and re-enabled once it's installed somewhere.

It's easy enough to add to the list of things we temporarily turn off.
In fact, done as soon as I run git push.  Longer term, it'd be nice if
this were just done automatically based on the presence of RAID devs,
probably from udev

> > > These service should be disabled, I don't see that Desktop users need NFS...
> >
> > Highly dependent on your environment (some places make great use of NFS
> > on the desktop).  This is the NFS client piece, not the server.  Some
> > home network storage appliances can be an NFS server to your desktops.
>
> This should really be started some other way. Not doable for F10, though.

Indeed.  It'd be really nice if they would start on demand, but that's a
little tricky from what I discussed with steved a year or so ago

Jeremy