Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Oct 9 19:06:25 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> said:
> It's easy enough to add to the list of things we temporarily turn off.
> In fact, done as soon as I run git push.  Longer term, it'd be nice if
> this were just done automatically based on the presence of RAID devs,
> probably from udev

Like I said, mdmonitor only actually starts something if mdadm.conf
exists and has configuration in it.  All you save by disabling it (when
RAID isn't configured) is a shell script and "[ -f /etc/mdadm.conf ]";
that shouldn't take any significant amount of time, even on a CD (since
by then /bin/sh, /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, and /etc should all be in
the kernel cache).

There used to be a bunch of things that started unconditionally, but
much of that has changed to only actually start a service when there was
something to be done.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>