[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:32:46 UTC 2008

Itamar - IspBrasil escreveu:
> forwarding message from Rodrigo Padula
>
> any chance to increase the life of fedora releases ?
>
> or fedora will be only blending edge ?
>
> In my opinion fedora is losing space from centos and ubuntu

But that's not all. Besides increasing life of releases it is important
to keep things working between updates (currently that's not the case)
and taking care of reported bugs before introducing new features and/or
advancing versions. Few examples:

    * GDM: the "bleeding edge" version was adopted in Rel 9. But there
      is no documentation on how to properly configure it. So, it you
      want to allow remote  applications to open windows in your desktop
      you have to migrate to KDM (no way to get rid of the -nolisten in
      GDM).
    * RHGB  that is scheduled to disappear stop working after I updated
      system 1 1/2 month ago.
    * pam_mount stop working properly about 2 months ago.
    * ...

Obviously this kind of situation prevents the use of Fedora in critical
mission environments and makes the distribution more attractive to geeks
that can expend unpayed hours bringing back to life things that were
already working.

CdAB