[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 14:11:12 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-10, 12:53 GMT, Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
> In my opinion fedora is losing space from centos and ubuntu

a) If we are loosing to CentOS (which is a derivative of RHEL)
   then there is no loss to our community.
b) If anybody is running production servers on Fedora, then worse
   for him -- Fedora is a developers' distro and that's the
   reason why it has limited support. If you think you want to
   revive Fedora Legacy project (which died for disinterest of
   its users), then I would suggest that you join CentOS -- I am
   quite certain they can use as many people helping as possible.
c) Concerning Ubuntu. I am a Red Hat employee so I shouldn't talk
   lightly about our competition, so let me add only this
   thought.  If you compare current Ubuntu with current Fedora
   (or maybe previous version of Fedora, because we tend to be
   slightly ahead -- which is both good and bad) then difference
   is only minimal.  What I would be much more interested is
   difference between support for six years old distro (RHEL
   2.1AS was released on 2002-03-26) on RHEL and Ubuntu. Yes,
   I know, there is no six-years old Ubuntu, and there never will
   be (LTS support is only five years on servers).
       However, still I would be interested in the level of
   support for Dapper Drake (6.06) now comparing with the level
   of support we provide for RHEL5 (that's roughly the same age,
   right?). How many patches in the last six months went to
   Dapper? I see on packages.ubuntu.com/firefox they still have
   firefox 1.5 (we have 3.* even for RHEL3). Supporting old
   distro is a huge undertaking (what about fixing bugs in kernel
   2.4.9? That's is what we have in RHEL 2.1 -- and yes I see in
   our internal systems build from the last month, so it is still
   maintained) and jury is still out, whether Canonical will be
   able to do it.

Best,

Matej