[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 15:13:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Dmitry Butskoy <buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Dmitry Butskoy <buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, how about enthusiasm here?
>>>
>>> What should do some previously RedHat-oriented enthusiast, when all the
>>> area
>>> for application of his enthusiasm is some "production environment"? Use
>>> RHEL/CentOS anywhere and Fedora on his laptop only? But RHEL/CentOS is
>>> far
>>> from the "bleeding edge", hence his enthusiasm just disappear...
>>>

>> I don't understand what you're saying. Why do you need to be
>> bleeding-edge in your stable environments?
>>

> Well, not the "bleeding-edge" literally.
>
> An environment, which is considered stable, can be "untypical". Ie.
> "untypical production stable environment".
>
> All the years RHL/Fedora is used at my work, we was compelled (from time to
> time) to even port some future versions/features of N+1 distro to the
> current N distro. Because the features required for our "untypical"
> environment have appeared somewhere closer to the bleeding-edge...

Sounds like you want Centos + Extras then. Or maybe Extras isn't up to
date enough, and some people may need to create a new 'Current' repo
for Centos.

The closest I've come to wanting something "new" in Centos was wanting
a 2.4.3 (or so) Python instead of the 2.4.2 (or so) that comes with
RHEL/Centos. And that was easily avoided.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )