[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 16:23:55 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> What we need for the same effect now is for the versions of fedora that
>> provide the initial RHEL cuts to offer a seamless update to the subsequent
>> matching CentOS, repointing to its update repositories for continued support.
>
> I'm afraid that's not possible, because Fedora (even the previous version of
> it!) keeps getting version updates after RHEL gets branched and RHEL doesn't
> get most of them, so even the upgrade path from Fedora n-1 to a RHEL based on
> Fedora n can't be guaranteed, not even at the very moment RHEL gets released,
> and thus not at any point in time.
>
> The development branch for RHEL would have to be opened up (and EPEL maintained
> against it, too) for a proposal like yours to work, and I don't think Red Hat
> is prepared to do that; additionally, you'd also have to hop off Fedora to
> there exactly at the right point in time, because Fedora would continue getting
> updates, not all of which will end up in RHEL.

I know it doesn't work that way now - hence the complaints.

Fedora could make it's next release somewhere around the point where the
paths start to diverge so people who wanted the fast-track unstable
flavor could re-install as they apparently love to do, and the rest of
us could just drift into stability.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com