Regarding install options

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 19:41:37 UTC 2008

> On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 23:17 +0530, Shambo Bose wrote:
> > I am currently working on the options
> > layout, and what packages can be provided under each option.
>
> Please note, that Red Hat Linux used to offer these options, and
> eventually they were so blurred as to not really make any sense.  I
> suspect history would repeat itself.

To be more explicit -- between user testing, bug reports, mailing lists,
forums, etc we realized that just about everyone picked "Custom" because
they figured they had something that made them different or special.

Realistically, we actually still have install options like this -- it's
just now more about picking a live image to start from rather than
selecting something within the installer.  And if you're doing the
install from DVD or from the network, chances are that you're exactly
the sort of person that would be picking custom :-)  "Desktop-y" users
should be going more for the live images and the download page is trying
to push them in that direction[1]

Jeremy

[1] And for Fedora 10, that will be even more the case from the mockups
thus far