Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Fri Oct 10 21:20:30 UTC 2008

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:06 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 19:36 +0200, Karsten Hopp wrote:
>>> Getting libtool-2.2 into F-11 is my plan, but I most likely need to get that through
>>> FESCo as it breaks up to 300 packages according to my mass rebuilds. I'm going to
>>> prepare a Wiki page with details about that.
>> Isn't the whole point of libtool that it should make things _easier_,
>> not break huge swathes of packages whenever we change it?
>
> The amount of breakage is usually very minor. The big thing that
> caused breakage is that libtool-1.5 used to automatically haul in
> configuration for C, C++ and fortran. Certainly you've seen this in a
> configure run where it's checking for gcc, then g++, then g77. With
> libtool-2.2, you have to specify if you need more than C. See here:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#index-LT_005fLANG-89
>
> And an example patch where the package was broken using libtool-2.2:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011730.html
>
> Pretty basic. I'm guessing someone could plow through and fix all
> these issues pretty quickly. Gentoo has already been doing this for
> months, so it would be straightforward to find any necessary patches.

A copy of the libtool script is typically included in a package.
Breakage such as that patch fixes would only be incurred if
libtoolize/autoreconf were run as part of the build process--something
that simply shouldn't be happening in general for RPM builds.

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>               Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>