[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Oct 10 21:35:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 12:38 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> > Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
> >>
> >> any chance to increase the life of fedora releases ?
> >>
> >> or fedora will be only blending edge ?
> >>
> >> In my opinion fedora is losing space from centos and ubuntu

> >> The brazilian government, one of the biggest Fedora Case of the world is
> >> changing from Fedora/ Red Hat to Ubuntu/Debian.
> >
> > The problem was at an initial point, when Fedora was considered "for
> > enthusiasts only". A lot of previous "RedHat Linux enthusiasts" just
> > switch to CentOS (and similar RHEL-based systems), no more using Fedora,
> > because "it is marked as a non-for-production system even by its creators".
> >
> The fact that they switched to CentOS is *good* for Fedora.
I can not disagree more - To me, it's yet another evidence of Fedora
being on the loose.

>  CentOS's
> goals are better oriented to the needs of someone that wants to deploy a
> system and run it for years.  Fedora is good for people who want to get
> the latest technologies from upstream as soon as they're stable enough
> to integrate into a running system.
Right. But why can't Fedora do better? I feel Fedora could do better.

> > This situation seems to be reflected in the Fedora project itself.
> > Guess, how many Fedora infrastructure servers are run under the latest
> > "stable" Fedora release?
>
> As few as possible.
IMO, a fundamental management/infrastructure mistake - If these people
were using Fedora, they would be facing the issues Fedora users are
facing everyday and likely would being to understand why people complain
about Fedora.

>   The reason is not about stability.  It is about
> updates.  Once Fedora stops getting updates we'd have to upgrade to the
> next Fedora release with all of the churn that causes for vastly
> unrelated pieces of the OS.
Gotcha! If not even the Fedora project can handle the issues, why do you
expect users to be able to solve them? I think technically the issues
can be overcome. It's a matter of will.

Ralf