[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 06:46:51 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> No gotcha here.  I don't expect users to handle the issues.  Either the
> users in question want the opportunity to run the latest software in an
> integrated distro and so choose to run Fedora or they want to have a
> stable platform on which to deploy their own work and therefore they use
> CentOS/RHEL/Debian Stable.

No, it's not an either/or scenario. Users may way to develop something
new and be willing to put up with unstable fedora to get current tools
for that, but there is no clear transition plan to put what they have
built into production.  In the old RH X.0 -> X.1 -> X.2 days the
transition from a new release to a stable OS usable in production
happened through updates - now it doesn't happen at all.  Support is
simply dropped for the platform you started on and there is no reason to
expect anywhere near the same library versions and environment as you
migrate to a stable platform.

> There's a right tool for any job and a wrong tool.  Using your crescent
> wrench to hammer nails is possible but not very satisfying.

What's the 'right' tool to develop for the next version of Centos?

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com