Package review backlog.

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Oct 11 09:47:01 UTC 2008

John Poelstra wrote:
> David Woodhouse said the following on 10/10/2008 07:30 AM Pacific Time:

>>> [snipped]
>>> As a rule of thumb it's ok, but it should not be mandatory. I think the
>>> FESCo members are already having a lot of work to do and I'm not sure if
>>> everybody has enough spare time for reviews.
>>
>> Absolutely. Besides, if you do call it 'mandatory' you have to start
>> defining what would happen if people don't comply, and the whole thing
>> just gets silly.
>>
>> I'm talking about a 'recommended practice', and just asking people each
>> week which packages they've looked at. Nothing more.
>>
>> And even though people are busy, it shouldn't actually take _that_ long
>> to make progress on reviewing a single package, each week.
>>

> http://tinyurl.com/4kt682
> 1,212 open Package Review bugs

Woa,

Thats an amanzing number, I'll put in, or rather repeat, my 2 cents here.
Fedora, like any opensource community, is all about give and take, about tit
for tat.

I've submitted many, many new packages (100+ I guess) and I've *never* had any
problems in getting them reviewed.

Of those 1200 pachages awaiting review, 100 block FE_NEEDSPONSOR, so 1100 are
normal reviews submitted by people which are already contributers! Lets say
every contributer has on average 2 packages waiting for review, then 2 have 550
contributers for whom the review queue is a problem, if all of those 550
submitters would review only 2 packages, then the entire normal review queue is
gone!

What I always do, and what we should be promoting much more is exchange
reviews. Just post a mail to fedora-devel-list, saying I've got these and these
packages which need review, and I'll gladly review any other package in return.

Then people who are willing to do reviews themselves day sure, and my and their
package is reviewed in a matter of days. For those who are not willing to do
reviews in return for their own package being reviewed I've got little sympathy!

So the real problem to this solution is not mandating anyone to do reviews, but
to seriously promote swapping reviews.

Regards,

Hans