Package review backlog.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Oct 11 15:07:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 12:13 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Nice idea, but for me that sounds like a pre-election promise to lower
> taxes or like big and rich politicians handling out food in a soup
> kitchen or a: It will help a few people and gives good press because
> it's popular, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem at all. In
> fact it's even worse, because time gets wasted instead of solving the
> underlying or other problems (that might be bigger or smaller).

I don't think I'm up for election this time round, and I hope it didn't
come across that way. I'm always prepared to be held accountable for my
views and actions; I'm not really known for playing politics :)

As for asking about it in meetings -- I just meant that as a means of
encouraging/reminding people to actually _do_ it, because an empty
statement that we _intend_ to do such reviews is fairly pointless if we
then just forget about it. I certainly didn't mean it as some kind of
measure by which FESCo members' performance would be measured. You're
right; there are much better things for people to be looking at when
election time comes round.

I do think that my proposal would help to improve the underlying
problem, although of course I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise --
and it was, after all, just a suggestion.

By getting FESCo members more involved in reviews, we should help to
raise the profile of package review and set a good example; hopefully
others will also follow suit. And it should mean that some of the
existing proposals for making reviews run smoother would get a little
bit more attention too, and thus get pushed through to reality. As well
as directly making a small dent in the backlog, of course -- but that
'direct' effect is minimal, and not really the point.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation