young Fedora torrents spread data too slowly

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat Oct 11 18:49:57 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, John Reiser wrote:

> Young torrents on http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/ spread data too slowly.
> At 0500 UTC on Sat.Oct.11, there was 1 seed and 14 leeches, all at 13% done.
> At 1300 UTC on Sat.Oct.11, there was 1 seed and 31 leeches, all at 55% done.
> This is for F10-Snap1-x86_64-Live.
> I turned my machine off for the night (US PDT), powered on in the morning,
> and within half an hour had caught up to all leeches at 57% done.
> I use tranmsissionbt, and I saw that the seed was sending pieces of 256 KiB
> to me at 2.5 KiB/s, taking almost two minutes per piece (and then "pausing.")
>
> It seems to me that torrent.fedoraproject.org is overloaded, and that a change
> in policy would give sooner completion to everybody, even without more
> resources.

I wouldn't say overloaded.  Throttled is the right word, and we do have it
throttled.  Although even throttled on one machine I was able to download
the latest live beta in roughly 10 minutes on my slicehost.com host, and
closer to 9 hours on my workstation at home.  Its always difficult to tell
where the slowness happens but I suspect in my slow case it was because my
ISP was limiting my traffic and slicehost.com was not.

	-Mike