young Fedora torrents spread data too slowly

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sat Oct 11 20:59:25 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Denis Leroy wrote:
>
>> Mike McGrath wrote:
>>> I'm not saying something isn't wrong.  I'm saying I'm not seeing it and if
>>> I can't see it I don't know how I'm going to fix it.  Can anyone give me
>>> speeds for any other torrent besides ours?
>> Well I just added the Fedora 9 i686 live CD for comparison, I'm getting 1.0
>> MBytes per second.
>>

> So, on a new, less popular torrent like the Snap1 you see slow speeds.  On
> an older, more popular torrent you see faster speeds.  How is the torrent
> not behaving as it should again?

As someone else mentioned, the distribution of the chunks pushed to the
clients is supposed to be randomized. Apparently it isn't, we're all
sitting here with the same completion percentage and the exact same
chunks, all trying to download from the same one seed.

I'm not sure whether it's the client that picks the random chunk to
download, or the server that imposes it though. Maybe we're all using
the same buggy client :-) (I'm using transmission).

Can you add an extra seed using a different client ? (you can use
transmissioncli for example).