[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Henrique Junior henriquecsj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 21:55:01 UTC 2008

Hello, everyone,
I would like to share with you an situation related to Fedora's time
of life that comes to me in recent days.
I was recently promoted to Software Manager in the governmental
partition where I work. Next year we've plans to migrate 500 Linux
desktop stations and, in the last month, finished the migration of all
servers to CentOS.
The question that worries me is that, despite the willingness to use
Fedora, dealing with an "end of life" of 13 months can make Fedora
impractical in these 500 desktops. I'll be pressed to use Ubuntu and
even got to think about maintain by myself an repository for
maintaining, maybe, the most important RPMs always updated even if the
Fedora come to the inevitable 13 months of use.
Perhaps it is time to seek volunteers to bring back the Fedora Legacy
and see if more people are interested this time.

Regards from Brazil

2008/10/11 Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 04:58:43PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>> On Fri October 10 2008, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>>
>> > support from the boards. Some months ago I proposed something for a
>> > fedora lts that was brought down, maybe for good reasons, but the tone
>> > of the discussions really showed very few support, and I'd even say some
>> > antagonism.
>>
>> Iirc you would get support in terms of infrastructure in case you have a clear
>> proposal and enough people doing the work. Also they should show, that they
>> are really interested in doing this for long enough, that it does not look
>> like a failed project. E.g. starting now a Fedora LTS project and ending it
>> next year, because there are not enough maintainers/people interested in
>> doing the work, does not look good for Fedora.
>
> My proposal was clear: start the project when somebody has volunteered
> for each of the packages that are in @code and @base (and maybe other
> comps groups, I don't remember exactly). And keep a page with the
> packages maintained such as not to give wrong expectations.
>
> --
> Pat
>
> --

Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior