[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Henrique Junior henriquecsj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 22:21:41 UTC 2008

Hi,
As a desktop, Fedora is the best solution. Should I use the best 2nd
solution? (Ubuntu).
Maybe if we take *some* releases to LLT, lets say, Fedora N, Fedora
N+4. The intermediary releases will be "non LLT".... Well, I know that
Fedora have to worry about all releases, but if we have few people to
work it should be one point.
Maybe it looks crazy.

P.S.: I'm sorry for my poor english.

2008/10/11 Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Henrique Junior <henriquecsj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello, everyone,
>> I would like to share with you an situation related to Fedora's time
>> of life that comes to me in recent days.
>> I was recently promoted to Software Manager in the governmental
>> partition where I work. Next year we've plans to migrate 500 Linux
>> desktop stations and, in the last month, finished the migration of all
>> servers to CentOS.
>> The question that worries me is that, despite the willingness to use
>> Fedora, dealing with an "end of life" of 13 months can make Fedora
>> impractical in these 500 desktops. I'll be pressed to use Ubuntu and
>> even got to think about maintain by myself an repository for
>> maintaining, maybe, the most important RPMs always updated even if the
>> Fedora come to the inevitable 13 months of use.
>> Perhaps it is time to seek volunteers to bring back the Fedora Legacy
>> and see if more people are interested this time.
>>
>> Regards from Brazil
>

> A few points/questions:
> * Does CentOS not meet your desktop needs?
> * You should have a local repo for 500 machines anyways. You don't
> want untested updates going to your 500 machines
> * I don't think you're going to label running your desktops on a
> Ubuntu LTS release as a "bad thing"
> * As I understand it, Fedora Legacy died out of lack of interest, not
> due to some intentional action
>

> --
> Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
> ( www.pembo13.com )