[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Sun Oct 12 22:37:36 UTC 2008

* Les Mikesell [12/10/2008 22:14] :

> Yes but what is the point of developing for it?

There's a notion called freedom that you may have heard of.

> With a planned progression to an enterprise version, that would not
> really be a migration away from fedora but the expected end point where

Again, this supposes that one of Fedora's end goals is to easily
permit its users to migrate to other distributions. This isn't the
case.

> you are permitted to continue using anything you've contributed or
> developed for your own use, staying in the same community instead of
> having all previous work dumped out the window at the end of a cycle.

When a Fedora version release reaches EOL, users have the possibility
of upgrading to the next release. These days, they even have the option
of upgrading to the release following that one if they wait long enough.
I have no idea where you get the notion that we're guiding users to a
"planned dead-end" or that, once a Fedora release is EOL-ed, they have
to dump out their work out the window.

If your goal is to use an distribution that promises ABI/API
compatibility, long term support and other "enterprise" features, there
are a whole host of distributions for which these are goals.
Why not use them ?

Emmanuel