reviving Fedora Legacy

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Sun Oct 12 22:58:02 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:01:53AM +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
>

>> Up to here you definitely had my sympathy. But this anarchical approach
>> makes me wonder who your target audience is. I would think that the
>> majority of people who wouldn't want to upgrade to an official Fedora
>> release would be people who need stability. Fedora itself  is probably a
>> little bit too unstable for them. These people would probably want more
>> than the average level of QA. To borrow a phrasing from Jef, legacy
>> updates should be edible by babies.
>>

> More QA in EOL than in release doesn't make sense. This 'anarchical'
> approach is not very anarchical given what kind of changes are allowed.
>
> --
> Pat

 From a developer's point of view you are right. But I believe that the
majority of risk takers would upgrade before the end of life simply
because they want the newer stuff. Like I said, I am at a loss to
understand who your target audience is. I identified my concept of a
target audience, one that doesn't want the instability of an upgrade.
Who is your target audience and how big do you expect this audience to
be? Are there any statistics from Fedora legacy which would indicate the
demand for the product? Any surveys indicating what people wanted from a
Fedora legacy.
Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to discourage you. I am trying to
help you build a better use case.