[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Oct 13 00:53:24 UTC 2008

Robert Locke <lists at ralii.com> wrote:

[...]

> What I think is lacking (but seem to be being worked on), is a
> convenient "upgrade" process within the "family".  So that if I use
> Fedora 9 or 10, that I could "in-place" upgrade to RHEL/CentOS 6 when it
> comes out.

By the time RHEL/CentOS comes out, the Fedora from which it branched has
long moved past it...

> Historically, using RHEL/CentOS for desktop has been problematic for
> some given their "stability" and "lack of movement".

For many desktop uses the latest bling is definitely not a requirement,
more the contrary.  Sure, on notebooks stuff like WiFi is required (and
needs a newer kernel, etc). Perhaps a line with the required packages
(paralell to EPEL) would be doable?

>                                                      But it does appear
> that this is changing.  Looking at RHEL/CentOS 5.2 compared to 5.0,
> there are some actual version upgrades to some of the packages, so
> perhaps it becomes more feasible for more people as a desktop.

It has always been that selected packages get version upgrades during
RHEL's life. I'd suspect that happens when the pain of backporting gets too
large and the visible differences are small enough to not make a
difference. I.e., it helps you not a bit to get an "up to date desktop".
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513