[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Oct 13 03:27:32 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> > Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> >> Fedora could make it's next release somewhere around the point where
> >> the paths start to diverge so people who wanted the fast-track
> >> unstable flavor could re-install as they apparently love to do, and
> >> the rest of us could just drift into stability.
> > Why would any Fedoran want to "drift into stability"? That is a
> > contradiction in terms... If it was /so/ badly wanted as you claim, Fedora
> > Legacy would be alive and well, don't you think?

> No, Fedora, legacy or not, is not good at maintaining stability. I'm
> not surprised it didn't work and wouldn't expect it to work if
> revived.

My impression too, but experimental data trumps that.

>          What people actually do is run RHEL or Centos for their
> actual work.

Depends on what "actual work" means...

>              Which leaves the question of how to get from one to the
> other as you develop something new, then want to run it.

Move the SRPM over, rebuild on the target? Have done so several times, with
minimal fuss. Also moved SRPMs to Aurora (on SPARC64, Fedora-based), and
even ported SRPMs for stuff I couldn't find on Fedora from a variety of
other distributions. I also maintained locally old packages for stuff where
the newer one didn't work.

I'd expect anybody who used Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora for any length of time
have done so too...
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513