reviving Fedora Legacy

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Oct 13 14:45:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

>>> Because it is not possible to switch to centos from all fedora releases.
>>> Right now you cannot switch from F8 to any centos, and even an updated F6
>>> couldn't switch to centos 5. So it would be interesting for F6, F7, F8.
>>> Maybe not F9 if switching from an updated F9 to centos 6 is possible,
>>> but will centos 6 be ready in 6 months?
>>
>> If you have a system you are developing that needs to run on
>> RHEL/CentOS, you start development on RHEL/CentOS not on Fedora.
>
> That doesn't make sense.  If you expect your system to run on RH6 that would
> mean you couldn't start development until after it is released.

Sure it makes sense.  With RHEL being supported for 7 years, I can
spend a year or so developing my service on RHEL X and have five or
six years before I have to upgrade to RHEL X+1 or X+2.

>> The
>> same goes for anything - if you were going to deploy on Ubuntu 8.04
>> (the most recent LTS version) you wouldn't start development on Ubuntu
>> 8.10 would you?
>
> You don't plan to release something new on the last version of a
> distribution, you plan for the next - so yes, Ubuntu 8.10 would be a
> suitable development platform and Ubuntu has so far had a reasonable update
> process to their next versions (but admittedly they haven't had a hard one
> like going from a 2.4 to a 2.6 kernel yet).

Well it really depends on what I was building.  If I was developing a
new desktop application what you say might make sense.  If I was
developing an e-commerce web site you'd be nuts to do that.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"