reviving Fedora Legacy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 16:23:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:23 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> In a nutshell:
> * Lift acls from all discontinued Fedoras
> * Keep the buildinfrastructure alive.
> * Allow fedora maintainers to fix bugs in discontinued Fedoras.

I think the only way I'd vote for this to happen is if it was setup in
thusly:

At the point of official EOL (IE the 13~ month mark) PackageKit is
notified in such a way so that in it's attempts to fetch new updates
from existing repos it warns users about the EOL and explains to them
the situation.  It can offer a few different options:

A) Upgrade (via pre-upgrade) to a newer version of Fedora.

B) Configure itself for a new set of repos that are the product of
post-eol updates by maintainers, giving clear information to the user
that there is no set lifespan, no set package list, no set expectation,
no nothing.

C) Do nothing.

Users of EOL releases would have to make a conscious choice to jump on
the post-eol update world, so that they are given a chance to understand
what it is they would be consuming.  I would not want people to wind up
there without any prior knowledge and properly set expectation of what
they are getting, and I would want them to be urged to upgrade if at all
possible.

Furthermore I would want to prevent maintainers who do not wish to
participate in the post-EOL update world from getting bugzilla reports
by people using their software in EOL releases.

Finally, I would prefer if we had our automated signing system in place
prior to this, but I'm not going to make this a blocker.

Maintainer teams of various systems such as Bodhi and pkgdb and koji and
mirrormanager et al would also need to give their explicit approval and
add any further adjustments to any such plan.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!