reviving Fedora Legacy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 21:00:08 UTC 2008

> Even if it is right in the long run, the point of a distribution is to
> to protect its users from mid-release breakage.  If I wanted the
> upstream version as-is every day, I'd download it directly myself.  I
> expect a distribution to not break compatibility with what it packaged
> and shipped yesterday.

You certainly have a point if we're talking about in release updates,
but not if we're talking release to release upgrades (IE 9 to 10).  We
(the Fedora project) leave it up to maintainer discretion as to what
kind of updates to bring to in release updates.  I'm pretty certain that
if we tried to be more authoritative on this front you'd find lots of
your brethren quite upset at the 'bureaucracy' getting involved.

So if you have a issue with in-release updates, you need to look no
further than the other maintainers.  This is what happens when we let
maintainers make their own decisions, for better or worse.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!