reviving Fedora Legacy

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Oct 13 22:04:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 04:49:19PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> On the contrary. The Fedora project provides maintenance of the release
> for the release period. You're guaranteeing ... nothing.

It provides maintainance, but cannot guarantee anytihng. The idea is to
provide maintainance for the packages people are interested in providing
maintainance.

> ... but then later want a longer term of support, up to 3-5 years, during
> which... their OS will be old. Just as old as an equivalent RHEL/CentOS,
> in fact.

Not at all. Centos starts already old, it is very different.

> I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a straw horse that's being beaten to
> death.
>
> Fedora 8's been out less a year. It has, in that timeframe, received *over
> 4600 updates*. Fedora 9 has received over 2600 in its current lifetime.
>
> How is upgrading to the next release really that many orders of magnitude
> more change than this?

It is very different because the updates are not fundamental changes,
like those that happens between releases. You know that, don't you,
those changes that goes through rawhide.

> After all, if you're on F9 you've already consumed a KDE-4.0 to KDE-4.1
> update, for example. Or kernel updates from 2.6.25 through to 2.6.27.
> Or NetworkManager updates to the current version. Or ... <insert
> changes here>...

Sure, but not the big changes that goes between version. I am sure you
know what I am speaking about.

--
Pat