transifex and PackageKit

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:43:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 13:18 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 17:28 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Today I released 0.3.7 and pushed it to rawhide. In a couple of weeks
> > time they'll be a bugfix 0.3.8 release that we'll see in F10 and F9.
> >
> > Before that time, I would like the translations for PackageKit to be
> > updated -- updated translations are very important for the F10 release
> > quality and also for the F9 backport.
> >
> > You can see the current stats here:
> >
> > http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/packagekit#master
>
> I've taken a look at the German translation and found out that some
> messages are really hard to translate, partly because there are no
> comments about the context, partly because the messages are not complete
> sentences and you didn't use placeholders in there.

Sure, I really apologise. I'm generally rubbish at this sort of thing,
so I appreciate any help.

> For example, I guess the string "Could not find what packages require"
> could mean "I can't find out what some packages require that are already
> mentioned elsewhere" but it could also be "I can't find out which
> packages require (something else not mentioned)". The former should
> probably be phrased "Couldn't find what these packages require.", the
> latter "Couldn't find which packages require %1$s.": Note the complete
> sentences and the indexed placeholder in the second one which lets
> translators move around these things if necessary. Add a comment like
> "placeholder is a list of packages" to put icing on that ;-).

Could you find any other dodgey strings and send a mail to the
packagekit mailing list please? We'll then go through any of the bad
ones, fixing them up and adding translator comments.

You don't need to subscribe if you don't want, I'll moderate you
through.

Thanks,

Richard.