compat-python, Zope...

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 12:40:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 13:02 +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:

> First of all: I *will* package compat-python and Zope/Plone, because I
> need it at work. The only question is if Fedora/FESCo wants me to share
> my work with the Fedora community or not!

 From what I remember the previous person who wanted python in Fedora
was also willing to create/maintain a compat-python24 package. But
that's not the only problem.

> I can think of a Python 2.4 package that lives within the Zope tree to
> make it extra hard for others to use it by accident - but I don't think
> that this would be neat, seen from a FHS point of view.

 In some ways this might be doable, at least it has less pain points
than packaging it "properly".

> I'm not a big fan of third party repositories. DOT. This would lead to
> an extra discussion...
>
> a) I maintain Zope/Plone (+ deps, eg. compat-python) in Fedora
> b) I maintain it on my *private* company repo
> c) NOTE!: I guess this will lead to packages a la
> compat-python24-{elementtree,feedparser,imaging,lxml,setuptools,psycopg}
> and maybe a whole bunch of others...

 C is the biggest problem, in that "someone" has to dup all the modules
people need ... which also need to be kept in sync. ... and you need to
make sure that python-foo doesn't pull in compat-python24-bar (and vice
versa).

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat