btrfs useability on rawhide

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 14:33:02 UTC 2008

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 07:06:35AM -0700, John Reiser wrote:
>>> I would doubt that anaconda would do an install
>>> with btrfs as the root filesystem, but who knows.
>> Anaconda itself should not care, but the bootloader GRUB
>
> Except that Anaconda does care if it's formatting the filesystem.
> It has to call the right tools to do the format.
>
> The rest of what you said about Grub is certainly true as well
> though.
>
> josh

well, /boot support is the least of the problems.  grub doesn't support
ext4 on /boot yet either, and grub does the wrong thing for xfs so
that's excluded too.  A separate /boot is pretty commonplace.

Aside from mkfs, Anaconda also needs to be able to detect fs types - it
uses blkid for that, but there is not yet a stable btrfs disk format for
blkid to recognize, so blkid can't get updated yet.

So it's all still a ways off.

But if you want to play w/ btrfs, you can almost certainly build the
kernel module against the kernel-devel package and have something usable.

(And since rawhide's btrfs-progs is already stale, I guess you can just
build that from source, too) :)

-Eric