reviving Fedora Legacy

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Oct 14 14:37:56 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:

[...]

> There can be a change in time, 1 year of innovative technologies

Fedora users are happy, you are grumbling that your "stable" setup
breaks each other day...

>                                                                  and
> then only critical updates,

... and now you are happy, while Fedora users leave disappointed that there
is no new technology... and next cycle is a _huge_ jump, and your grumbling
can only get worse.

>                             if fedora maintainers are volunteering to
> keep on doing critical updates.

They aren't. It is enough of a chore to track upstream, to track upstream
_and_ backport fixes is too much to ask. And most fun comes to your average
geek from playing with the newest, shiniest toy around...

>                                 And I even think that 6 months of
> innovative technologies, 6 months with a slowdown in updates, only
> important updates, on user demand and then only critical fixes as long
> as a maintainer is doing them would even be better.

Tell you what, this is /exactly/ (well, almost) what you'd get following
CentOS or RHEL, only /without/ screwing up Fedora.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513