transifex and PackageKit

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 15:21:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 12:43 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 13:18 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 17:28 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Today I released 0.3.7 and pushed it to rawhide. In a couple of weeks
> > > time they'll be a bugfix 0.3.8 release that we'll see in F10 and F9.
> > >
> > > Before that time, I would like the translations for PackageKit to be
> > > updated -- updated translations are very important for the F10 release
> > > quality and also for the F9 backport.
> > >
> > > You can see the current stats here:
> > >
> > > http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/packagekit#master
> >
> > I've taken a look at the German translation and found out that some
> > messages are really hard to translate, partly because there are no
> > comments about the context, partly because the messages are not complete
> > sentences and you didn't use placeholders in there.
>
> Sure, I really apologise. I'm generally rubbish at this sort of thing,
> so I appreciate any help.

No sweat, don't take it as criticism.

> > For example, I guess the string "Could not find what packages require"
> > could mean "I can't find out what some packages require that are already
> > mentioned elsewhere" but it could also be "I can't find out which
> > packages require (something else not mentioned)". The former should
> > probably be phrased "Couldn't find what these packages require.", the
> > latter "Couldn't find which packages require %1$s.": Note the complete
> > sentences and the indexed placeholder in the second one which lets
> > translators move around these things if necessary. Add a comment like
> > "placeholder is a list of packages" to put icing on that ;-).
>
> Could you find any other dodgey strings and send a mail to the
> packagekit mailing list please? We'll then go through any of the bad
> ones, fixing them up and adding translator comments.
>
> You don't need to subscribe if you don't want, I'll moderate you
> through.

I've just sent the mail, mind that I didn't flag all messages that have
a certain problem, just some as examples.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty