compat-python, Zope...

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Oct 15 07:08:34 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:
[ ... ]
>> I can think of a Python 2.4 package that lives within the Zope tree to
>> make it extra hard for others to use it by accident - but I don't think
>> that this would be neat, seen from a FHS point of view.
>
>  In some ways this might be doable, at least it has less pain points
> than packaging it "properly".

I'm not sure what you mean here? Do you mean with properly an
/usr/%{_lib}/python%{major}.{minor}/ installation? Well, I'd like to
invite everybody to have a look at the livna packages. Those are fine
and don't hurt the main python...

>> I'm not a big fan of third party repositories. DOT. This would lead to
>> an extra discussion...
>>
>> a) I maintain Zope/Plone (+ deps, eg. compat-python) in Fedora
>> b) I maintain it on my *private* company repo
>> c) NOTE!: I guess this will lead to packages a la
>> compat-python24-{elementtree,feedparser,imaging,lxml,setuptools,psycopg}
>> and maybe a whole bunch of others...
>
>  C is the biggest problem, in that "someone" has to dup all the modules
> people need ... which also need to be kept in sync. ...

Of course. I can think of providing the package people need - upon
request. But of course other python module packagers are invited to join
my effort :-)

 > and you need to
> make sure that python-foo doesn't pull in compat-python24-bar (and vice
> versa).

Hm. How should that happen? Especially with koji....

-of