compat-python, Zope...

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Oct 15 08:28:27 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 15.10.2008 09:17, Oliver Falk wrote:
>> Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>>> FYI, note that compat-python24 and compat-zope are already in livna
>>> (and I assume then also rpmfusion). Perhaps you could offer to help
>>> maintain those with their maintainer
>>> there? Even less work, since they are already packaged/used.
>> I've taken these packages as a starting point. I will need additional
>> python modules and I do also need compat-python23 and why not take
>> these packages into Fedora. Why is everyone wicked about maintaining
>> packages in a third party repository? I know rpmfusion and most
>> packages seem to be quite good. What's the reason for not taking them
>> into Fedora - except those packages with non-floss licenses?
>
> Just a note for those not familiar with the habits from Livna/RPM
> Fusion: Livna/RPM Fusion normally doesn't take any packages that are
> suitable for Fedora (¹).

I do know and I know the footnote as well :-)

> Back then we tried our best to get compat-python directly into Fedora,
> but those efforts failed. Hence Livna accepted compat-python (and hence
> it made its way to RPM Fusion). But I'm all for moving compat-python* to
> Fedora, so I really appreciate your efforts Oliver!

This is good news, that you want the same!
I really want to have them in the main repository and I'm willing to
help to get them in and also help you to maintain them, if you like.

I've already raised a FESCo ticket, so they can discuss it in their next
meeting.

[ ... ]

-of