Plan for tomorrows (20081014) FESCO meeting

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 15 19:25:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:30:35AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> No documentation that I know of.  This might help, though:  In our
> bugzilla instance, there's a 'Fedora' product and a 'Fedora EPEL'
> product.  You can have separate owners, cclists, etc per product.  We
> take the owner from the "Fedora-devel" branch in the pkgdb and "Fedora
> EPEL-5" branch for each of those products.

That's a bit odd that it doesn't match what is in packagedb. And this is
definitely a problem for the project of keeping infra open for old
branches.

> Bugzilla also has versions for each product.  So Fedora currently has
> versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and devel.  Versions cannot have
> separate owners, cclists, etc.  So if you open a bug against a package
> (component in bugzilla) it will get the same owner whether it's against
> Fedora-2 or Fedora-devel.  This is also why I don't think bugzilla has
> the ability to close bugs for old releases of Fedora (although, I'm not
> a bugzilla guru so it could be possible.)

Has somebody ever noticed that it was that way, and is it considered to
be an issue in fedora or EPEL space? To me this is at least unfortunate,
since one cannot have a packager responsible for rawhide while another
is responsible for releases. It is not really problematic however since
all the co-maintainers should be aware of the bugs and watch others.

But it is definitively an issue for my proposal. In particular it means
that orphaning old releases won't cause bugs not to be directed toward a
maintainer (such that it is not that important in fact). In the long
term, and if fedora finds the project useful, I think that adding a new
component would be the right thing to do. For the very beginning and the
very experimental phase it is not an issue either, since there would be
no reason to report bugs. But for the period between those 2, this is
definitely problematic. Because we want to have an idea how bugs are
handled, and we don't want to bother regular release packagers.

--
Pat