minimum memory requirements

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Oct 16 08:37:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 04:12 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:45 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Jon Masters
> > <jonathan at jonmasters.org>
>
> >         I've noticed that a fresh rawhide install is ooming unless I
> >         allocate 512MB to the guest machine that it is running within.
>

> > Could be beacause of the debuginfo present in rawhide but left out on
> > release.
>
> Nah. I don't see how that would account for such a difference. This is
> crashing early in the install - prior to partitioning. I'm a bit behind
> in Anaconda phraseology, but this is almost what used to be stage 1,
> except we're running within a 100MB+ ramdisk image with a GUI now.
>
> Something is using a lot of memory (anaconda) and causing the kernel
> badness calculation to blame it for all the world's evils. I'd love to
> know if others have seen this, especially in F-10 Beta.

FYI,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/ArchSpecific#Hardware_requirements_for_x86 states that the minimum requirements for x86 are:

* Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
* Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
* Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
* Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
* Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB

I'd dispute the CPU requirements (but that's another subject anyway) but
I'm having to allocate at least 384MB of (virtual) RAM for the system to
not regularly OOM. That seems a little high, even for rawhide. Do the
minimum requirements need updating?

Jon.