minimum memory requirements

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Oct 16 14:44:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 15:35 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 01:54:08PM +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> > x86_64 requires more disk space/RAM because of the libraries. But it
> > still would be nice if we could come up with some idea to un-bloat
> > various aspects in Fedora, aspects which attract a somehow negative
> > image upon the distribution.
>
> Indeed ... at my last job I routinely ran x86_64 Debian virtual
> machines in 64 MB of RAM.
>
> I'd bump them up to 128 MB or, on one occasion 256 MB of RAM, if they
> were doing anything special, like running a medium-traffic webserver.

To be fair, they probably didn't have a desktop to carry along for the
ride. But then I guess I could counter that the problem here is I
couldn't even run the installer with less than 384MB RAM. I dropped it
down to 256MB after install but then had to bump it back up again - and
I expect the first time I run yum I'll want to put it back to 512MB.

I had been trying to reduce VM memory sizes to run more at once...

Jon.