The Big ACL Opening

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Oct 16 17:43:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 16.10.08 12:28, Jon Ciesla (limb at jcomserv.net) wrote:

> > I don't think using smelly worlds like that one and forgetting about their
> > history would be good for a formalized workflow like ours in
> > Fedora. I mean, we are supposed to be democratic with all our
> > board elections and stuff. But, uh, using Nazi terminology is not a
> > good way to promote that.
> >
> > Or, if we have "Überpackagers", maybe it's time to rename normal
> > packagers to "Unterpackagers"? That would fit awfully well into our
> > pursuit for world domination, wouldn't it?
>
> Point taken, but in all honesty, this has been being bandied about for
> awhile.  Wouldn't have been more expedient to contribute to the naming
> discussion before extensive infrastructure changes we made?
>
> I mean, I agree with you to some extent, but the goat has already run off
> with the burrito, so to speak.

Neither your hungry goat nor the fact that I don't follow all and very
single discussion on the fedora MLs changes that "Überpackager" is a
pretty bad choice of words.

I noticed the adoption of this term for the first time a week or two
ago when I had to log into FAS and noticed I had become an
Überpackager. And, oh, god, with my blonde hair and blue eyes it felt
so deserved...

Lennart