minimum memory requirements

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 18:15:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:08 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > You see, if you have to download stage2, you're downloading it to memory
> > based filesystem and losing that much memory just to the storage of the
> > file.
>
> I'm not sure that's the case any more though. There used to be a stage1
> and a stage2 image for Anaconda, but now I think it's all a live image
> within that 100+ MB boot.iso file, without a separate download stage2.
> Perhaps I'll do another install later and switch to the console (it's
> cool that there's a usable shell early on now too) to check tmpfs.

Correction.  There used to be a boot.iso and a rescue.iso.  The boot.iso
of old only had stage 1 on it.  The rescue.iso had both stage1 and
stage2 (different files!).  We got rid of boot.iso, renamed rescue.iso
to boot.iso (as well as netinst.iso), and kept it the way it was, stage1
and stage2, different files.

In the exploded tree, stage1 and stage2 are different files.  In fact,
there are a few different variations of each depending on what you're
doing.  PXE booting doesn't like it very much if you try to shove the
100+meg file down it as a combined stage1/2, so we have a much smaller
stage1 which then gets stage2 via a more reliable method.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!