Sendmail still default?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Oct 17 11:35:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 01:31:32PM +0200, Lutz Lange wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i've just wondered why sendmail is still the default MTA in Fedora.
> Please enlighten me?

This is a (very) controversial issue. If I recall well, it has been
decided not to change anything for F10, but there was an heated thread
some time ago, and maybe this could be discussed in the timeframe of
F11. To sum up some people considered that local delivery was a must for
the default MTA, and that a send-only MTA wasn't good enough, eg, for
cronie. My personnal opinion is that there should not be any MTA in the
@base or @code group, and that a MTA should be chosed if it is pulled in
as a dependency, so it could be sendmail or anything else. Whether local
delivery is a must for cronie or other packages that today require
/usr/sbin/sendmail is another story that caould be discussed a bit more,
though in the end it seems to me that this should be up to the
maintainer.

But could you please elaborate a bit more on something like a proposal?

--
Pat