Sendmail still default?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 17:03:15 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 19:07 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Lutz Lange wrote:
>>> i've just wondered why sendmail is still the default MTA in Fedora.
>>> Please enlighten me?
>> Some people (/me waves) were concerned about the element of surprise
>> when someone configures a new system, throws some (user) cron jobs on
>> it, and expects local mail delivery to Just Work.
>>

> sendmail isn't the only mta in fedora that just works out of the box. I
> know postfix does and I believe exim does as well.

And did anyone have an actual problem with sendmail other than noticing
it taking time to start the daemon in the boot sequence.  That's a
problem that can be solved on its own since you don't really need a
daemon then.

Removing mail from the expected services is just the wrong thing to do,
especially if the reasoning is that the service isn't understood or used
to advantage.  Add a setup for a root alias in firstboot and a mail
notifier in the gnome panel to make the system more useful instead of less.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com